Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Like a Fish

Maya has been a strong swimmer since she was two years old. Last summer in North Carolina, she would swim in the ocean with a life vest on and kick herself in with the waves, virtually body surfing. She seems at home in the water. We took off her life vest this summer and she just started swimming under water right away. We go swimming almost every day at some point and one of her favorite things to do when she first gets to the pool, is to see how far away she can get from the steps and still swim all the way to them without coming up for breath. She goes a little farther each time until she is exhausted, then she'll swim on the surface for awhile. It is fun to watch her compete with herself this way. Here is a short video clip I took this afternoon. It was a pleasant 108 outside.

6 comments:

Lissa said...

I can't believe she is only four and can swim like that! she is incredible! She has always had very little fear of the water,...I remember her at the beach floating away and just laughing about it! what a great video

Denise said...

I can't believe it, either. I used to teach lifeguards and my 5 year old can't swim. He is starting lessons on Monday and not happy about it. Maybe I should send him to you.

Karen said...

It's probably partially because it's too hot to be on dry land these days!

Denise said...

I haven't gotten very far with Eat, Pray, Love. I started it in MD and I have yet to unpack it here. I did finish the Last Lecture and am currently obsessed with The Memory Keepers Daughter, but I just can't find the time to read more than a page or so at a time. I it is so good. Yesterday, I was reading it at stop lights. NOT GOOD!

alison said...

What a great swim! You have little athletic prodigies.. Maya the swim star, and I remember Shayne's golf clip from a few years ago with his excellent form. We can't wait to see you in only 2 weeks! Someday I will need to start a blog too.

couplabz said...

Wow! It must be nice to have such a good swimmer and at the same time a little stressful to have a fearless child.