Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Back to School

After today, Shayne, Maya and I are all officially back to school. I have been back for three weeks, and Shayne has been back for two, which I know seems crazy to most of you, but you won't laugh as hard when October and March roll around and it is 73 degrees out and we have two weeks off...Anyway, today was Maya's first day of Kindergarten, a day we have looked forward to with anxiety and apprehension for the past two years or so, as we were quite concerned with how it would all play out. Shayne was very sweet, telling her this morning, "I was nervous on my first day of kindergarten too, but once I got there, it was fun." She was actually excited about it, and was very happy about her new shark backpack that Grandma sent out. She is in a special kindergarten program that my school doesn't offer, so she is going to our home school in Mesa, at least for this year. The fact that I was not going to be right down the hall with her like I am with Shayne was quite upsetting at first, but we think this program will be really good for her. Rick, Shayne and I were with her this morning to see her off at the bus stop. She got on the bus with no problem, and the bus driver couldn't have been nicer, which was a huge relief. It was as if we were living in a parallel universe...totally unreal. She got upset periodically throughout the rest of the day, and I was so anxious I felt nauseated all day long at work, but overall, things went quite well I think. I was in contact with her teacher by email several times throughout the day like a hugely over-protective mother hen, but I couldn't stand not knowing how things were going (I think her teacher understands). To have this day behind us feels like a ton of bricks off of my chest. I am not naive enough to think we are out of the woods as far as big life transitions are concerned, but she really did well with this one, and it was the one we have been most concerned about since she started preschool.

Shayne has adjusted well to his new second grade class also, which we figured he would. He is enjoying reading and writing a lot this year, which we are happy about. I like having him in the computer lab with his class. He is always good and calls me "Mrs. Strong" at school, which always sounds funny. We are very proud of both of them!

Shayne's first day, before school in the computer lab, which is my classroom

Meeting up with a few friends on the playground the first morning back

Waiting for the bus...


3 comments:

Cindy said...

I'm pleased and relieved that Maya's first day went well. Don't you think that teachers are the worst parents to deal with at school? Tell Maya and Shayne that grandma loves them.

Alison said...

I'm glad to hear that Maya did alright. Is it getting better each day, or worse realizing that it is an almost everyday thing?

Karen said...

Yes mom, teachers are the worst, and Yes Alison, for now it is getting better every day:)