Sunday, December 6, 2009

Christmas in the Air

I love December! Christmas is great on its own, but in our family we also have our anniversary (the 11th), Shayne's birthday (the 14th) and my birthday (the 30th). It is always a lot of fun to pull out the Christmas boxes and start doing things that get us in the Christmas mood. Here are a few of my favorite Christmas things to take out each year:

This is one of our favorite Chrismas movies to watch. I really like the older animated version a lot better than the full-length movie that came out a few years ago.


It is also one of the best read-alouds of all time. I'm pretty sure I have the whole thing memorized.


Handel's Messiah is one of my favorite Christmas CDs. When I was a kid, my Grandma took us to the Naval Academy to see it performed live and it was absolutely amazing. I will never forget the feeling of seeing that beautiful music being made right in front of me.


A Christmas CD on the lighter side, John Denver and the Muppets' A Christmas Together is a good one. My favorite song is their rendition of the 12 Days of Christmas.

This one is another good one. It reminds me a lot of when I was a kid because it was one of the ones we listened to every year. The version of O Holy Night on this CD is maybe my favorite one ever.

This is a hilarious adaptation of the Christmas classic, A Christmas Carol. Can you tell we like the muppets?



This is a very well-done version of A Christmas Carol also, and it was a family tradition to watch it in our home when I was growing up. I make sure to watch it at least once every December.


The book is great too! It isn't very long and the words and story are beautiful. I reread it in December most years. There are a few good abridged versions out there for younger readers also.
These are some of the things that get us into a festive mood around our house. What are some of your favorites?

8 comments:

Sari said...

We like a lot of the same ones you do!Charlie Browns Christmas is a fav, Trans Siberian Orchestra, The Bishops Wife for me, and Surviving Christmas for Tom.

Lissa said...

I can also tell that I am married to your brother! definately similar tastes..trans siberian stays in the cd player the whole month, and I never get sick of it...! Because Dale love Messiah as a kid, I got tickets to the Naval academy performance when they came to Frederick Last year...it was really great to hear in person. A month hardly seems long enough for the Christmas season!

Cindy said...

Of course the reason that you read, watched and listened to some of those things as a kid is because they are my favorites. We watched that version of Christmas Carol last week. I'm looking forward to seeing the Disney version since we saw the preview at the B and O train museum when the special Christmas Carol Train came to Baltimore last month. I love December too, except for having to do grades at school.

Denise said...

You guys have a lot of fun traditions. You've inspired me to make each Family Home Evening in December Christmas oriented. (I DVR'd Charlie Brown's Christmas tonight, thanks to you.) We'll watch it on Monday. We are jammin to the Christmas tunes and I love how excited the kids get when we break out the decorations. We also like to do something to help those in need this year. We've been bringing plates of cookies around a lot the last couple of weeks. Today I went shopping for the kids toys. They will get three toys each from Mom and Dad symbolizing the three gifts that were brought to the baby Jesus. Oh, I can't forget the lights. I love to go to Watkins Park in MD and drive through while listening to holiday jams.

Alison said...

All excellent choices! As usual, we have the same tastes. I made some great Christmas mixes on playlist.com, I should see if I can send you a link and spare you the effort. You would like it though.

Alison said...

Oh, and I will have to take you up on your book recommendation since I never have read "A Christmas Carol".

CR said...

I love it! Do you remember when we sang Hallelujah chorus our senior year, and everyone was amazed that anything that beautiful could come out of our beloved Alma Mater? Good times! ;)

Karen said...

Yes! Not an easy piece of music either.