Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Whirlybird Wednesday

Today we had Fox 10 News visit our school for Whirlybird Wednesday! It is a live segment that they do each Wednesday to highlight an Arizona school. They bring in the helicopter and land it right on the field in front of the kids! There are two separate clips.





The "News Club" he referred to at the beginning is a club I run with two other teachers. We have about 35 fifth and sixth graders who meet each Tuesday and plan, tape and produce an 8-10 minute newscast that the kids in the school watch each Friday. It is usually my most stressful hour of the week because it is a lot to plan and coordinate after an already full work day. It is also a lot of fun. Anyway, some of the News Club kids got to take pictures of and videotape the event and a few others got to interview the anchor (Cory), the cameraman and the helicopter pilot. They were in heaven with all of the interaction with actual news people. It was really a fun experience. It was fun for me to watch later because now that I teach in the lab I know all the kids! Shayne had a blast too.

3 comments:

Denise said...

A. Coats with that weather forcast? I would go out in a bathing suit! It feels like 3 degrees here today.

B. I can't wait to tell Jackson the gorilla joke.

C. I didn't see Shane but I think I saw you taking a picture and then wandering around. Am I right?

How fun!

Karen said...

Yes. That was me taking pictures. So far we have only been able to identify Shayne's arm giving Cory, the anchor, a high five. We know where he was standing and he was wearing a red shirt.

Cindy said...

How cool is that! What a great idea for the morning show to do.