Sunday, November 30, 2008

Website of the Week

Since this is a big part of my job, and a lot of us have preschool and school-aged kids, I thought I would start posting free, educational websites that I have used and liked. One of the best educational websites out there in my opinion is http://www.starfall.com/. Many of you may already know it. I would say that it is most appropriate for 3-8 year olds.

The "ABC" section is great for helping early learners with letter names and sounds. Maya loves it. She just points to where she wants me to click. All of the letters have fun little sounds and animations that the kids really like. By the time they are 4 or 5, they can "follow the sparkles" in the letter section which give them a clue as to where to click next. Kindergarteners love this section. There are various interactive letter name and letter sound activities at the end if you keep clicking the sparkles.

For kids that are a little older, starfall has a "Learn to Read"section that helps them chunk and sound out words. It has stories that help reinforce vowel sounds and common digraphs such as sh, ch and th.

For kids that are a little further along, there is an "It's Fun to Read" and "I'm Reading" sections. Here they can choose interactive stories to read. They have fiction and non-fiction.

Overall, this site is easy to navigate, even for pre-readers. You really need to have audio for this website to be effective. It is a good one to check out if your kids are this age.

7 comments:

Robin said...

Thanks! I can't wait to check it out with Rebecca.

Denise said...

We'll try it out tonight!

Anonymous said...

In case you haven't seen Ziggity Zoom, a website for kids, you should definitely check it out. It's both fun and educational and it is geared to young children. They have lots of preschool worksheets, including tracing Alphabet sheet to print.
http://www.ziggityzoom.com

Lissa said...

Alex used to use starfall all the time...thanks for the reminder...do you know of any good typing websites??

Karen said...

I don't, but I'll ask around.

Karen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cindy said...

This is a great typing website that we use a lot at my school: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/typing/ It is from England so the accent is fun too.