Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Not to harp on books I have been reading, but...


...if you feel like this economy has treated you badly, that you aren't living as comfortably as you used to, like many of us do right now, give The Grapes of Wrath a read (or a re-read). Called by some the greatest American novel, I would have said that it was one of the best books that I ever read, except I am still trying to wrap my head around the ending, which I am not sure I like. Apart from that, it is a phenomenal book and well worth the time.
It is about one family that leaves the mid-west during the Great Depression when that part of the country was referred to as "The Dust Bowl". They were kicked off of their land and decided to relocate to California to look for work. They encounter pretty much every imaginable adversity along the way and upon arrival, but manage to keep moving forward from day to day in spite of it all.
I'm sure some of you have already read it-it was on a huge list of books that I have always wanted to read, but haven't yet. Since reading it I feel great to have food on the table at every meal, clothes to wear and a roof over our heads, not that I didn't appreciate it before. It really made me think about what it would be like to slowly loose necessities like food, shelter and clothing in spite of a willingness to work hard, and to realize that so many of the things we worry about loosing are not necessities, but things we could do without if we had to. If you are looking for something interesting to read, I highly recommend it.

5 comments:

Lissa said...

that was a terrific book! Timely choice of reading. you are right, it helps to keep life in perspective....

Denise said...

I haven't gotten to that one yet. I miss reading. I'll have to put that on my list.

Cindy said...

Very good choice. It's been a long time so if I can find time I'll give it another read.

Alison said...

I AM looking for a good new read. Thanks for the recommendation, I may pick it up at the library today.

Alison said...

Oh, and I just finished a bio about Mother Teresa a few weeks ago (before your post). Sisters think alike.